Breeders’ Cup 2015 Travel Tips; Historical Landmarks, Restaurants & Shops
Breeders’ Cup 2015 Travel Tips; Historical Landmarks, Restaurants & Shops: The Breeders’ Cup has traveled to tracks all over the continental United States from Lone Star Park, Santa Anita Park, and now, for 2015, the Breeders’ Cup will be hosted by the legendary Keeneland Race Course on October 30-31. Keeneland is built in the heart of horse country. Lexington, Kentucky is the horse capital of the world, making it the perfect location to host the end of the year championships.
Since the Breeders’ Cup is more than just a horse racing event, those attending year after year or testing the waters for the first time, anyone needs to know about the in’s and out’s not only about the Breeders’ Cup, but the city it is held within.
Places to Visit While in Lexington:
1. The Kentucky Horse Park – The Horse Park is a place not only for horse racing lovers, but for horse lovers in general. The park is not only a place to see champion racehorses up close and personal, it is also a place where a family can take a tour on horseback around the entire park. There are also several museums for the more mature audience, away from the children’s barn.
2. Historical Landmarks – Kentucky is littered with landmarks dating back to the times of American History we can only read about in books. Ashland Estate is Henry Clay’s personal estate, open to the public for visiting. Also, the Mary Todd Lincoln House is a common visiting place for tourists and residents alike.
3. Horse Farms – While some horse farms are only open certain times or only available by reservations, they are the iconic farms that many champions are bred and raised every year. Claiborne Farm is the farm that helped Secretariat fulfill his potential at stud. Lanes End Farm is the home of Queen Zenyatta, although Zenyatta is not a common sight to be seen on a farm tour.
Place to Eat While in Lexington:
1. Blue Door Smokehouse – Ranked #1 by TripAdvisor, Blue Door Smokehouse is one place in Lexington you likely do not want to skip. The menu is composed of souther comfort food, including brisket, ribs, pork, and the traditional BBQ. Comments on TripAdvisor comment “can mess with Texas” and “delicious.” Don’t skip this eatery.
2. Bourbon n’ Toulouse – Ranked #5 by TripAdvisor, Bourbon n’ Toulouse has a unique menu that is a bit more out there than the traditional restaurant. While their daily menu has items such as Gumbo and Chili, the menu items are different every day. One visitor described the eatery as “a little place with big flavor.”
3. Wild Eggs – This brunch spot is ranked #6 on TripAdvisor. Before heading to the track, stop by and grab yourself some eggs, french toast, pancakes, or a waffle to satisfy your taste buds. Wild Eggs also serves lunch but commonly get compliments on their breakfast items. One visitor commented on the restaurant being “creative.” Stop in and check it out!
Places to Shop for that Perfect Outfit:
1. White House Black Market – Located at The Mall at Lexington Green, this store offers designer sheque with affordability. Clothing and accessories for all shapes and sizes, the store could be a goldmine for anyone struggling to find their perfect Breeders’ Cup look.
2. Francesca’s – Francesca’s has a very vintage twist on their clothing. Women looking for a more relaxed look, rather than the black tie affair look, should seriously consider shopping at this boutique. With prices more than affordable, visit The Mall at Lexington Green and visit this cute little store.
3. Anthropologie – Anthropologie has a very interesting selection. The dresses range from a 1950’s theme to a modern style. Any women should be able to find a dress in this store. Located at The Mall at Lexington Green, Anthropologie is easily a place any woman should be able to find a Breeders’ Cup outfit.
The Breeders’ Cup is an event every horse lover and racing fan must experience,even if it is just once. These little tidbits of advice about planning some fun and adventure while staying in Lexington this coming October. Planning your trip doesn’t have to stressful, if you know where to look and spend your time.
Breeders’ Cup Tickets