Kentucky Oaks 2016 Contender Updates
Kentucky Oaks 2016 Contender Updates: Unlike the Derby, the May 6 Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs only allows 14 runners in the gate (and therefore this list stops at 14). Land Over Sea leads the points leaderboard, but everyone following universally agrees Songbird holds more talent. In addition, Cathryn Sophia displayed her special talent as well going one turn.
The connections must ask themselves whether they want to face Songbird and Cathryn Sophia.
Note: Polar River does not appear in the standings because she looks unlikely to ship for the Kentucky Oaks.
1. Land Over Sea: The filly who finished second to Songbird so many times took control of the points leaderboard with a win in the Fair Grounds Oaks. The Kentucky Oaks is on deck, and she will benefit from a pace collapse.
2. Songbird: What? Songbird is actually second for once? The undefeated superstar remains on track for the April 9 Santa Anita Oaks after working six furlongs in 1:12.80 on March 29.
3. Cathryn Sophia: The other undefeated star plans to make her two-turn debut in the Ashland Stakes at Keeneland, also on April 9. She drilled six furlongs in 1:13 flat at Palm Meadows Training Center on March 26.
4. Venus Valentine: Scant information is available, but with 50 Kentucky Oaks qualifying points in tow and a graded stakes win to justify her quality, it is hard to imagine her connections not taking a shot on May 6.
5. Terra Promessa: Stonestreet Stables’ hope for the Kentucky Oaks worked five furlongs in 1:00.40 on March 26. Defeating Songbird will not be easy, but her ceiling in terms of ability could be high.
6. Mo d’Amour: She owns 50 Kentucky Oaks qualifying points as well for trainer Todd Pletcher after a win in the Busher Stakes at Aqueduct. The worktab shows a five-furlong spin in 1:01.55 on March 26.
7. Dream Dance: Her runner-up effort in the Fair Grounds Oaks even caught trainer Neil Howard off guard, who expected a lesser performance off the layoff. The Kentucky Oaks may be next.
8. Nickname: The runner-up in the Martha Washington and Honeybee Stakes (GIII) posted two recent drills since then. She worked four furlongs in 51.20 on March 21 and 49-seconds flat on March 30. Will she go on to Churchill?
9. Lewis Bay: Finishing second to Cathryn Sophia in the Davona Dale is not bad. Since then, she posted three workouts including a four-furlong spin in 48.05 on March 26 in preparation for the April 9 Gazelle Handicap.
10. Midnight On Oconee: Not much information is out there. She disappointed in the Fair Grounds Oaks with a seventh-place finish and the connections will need to decide if the Kentucky Oaks makes sense.
11. Dreams to Reality: Since the Busher Stakes, she posted three workouts for trainer Michael Dilger including a five-furlong breeze in 1:02.05 on March 26.
12. Dothraki Queen: This one posted six official workouts throughout February and March since placing third in the Nov. 28 Golden Rod Stakes. The Alcibiades at Keeneland and the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket are possible
13. Adore: She recently finished third in the Fair Grounds Oaks for Asmussen, and like many of these fillies, it remains to be seen whether they feel the Kentucky Oaks fits her.
14. Flora Dora: The Coffeepot Stables’ runner placed fourth in the Busher. It would be difficult to justify going against Songbird, but she continues to work steadily with a March 25 four-furlong breeze in 49.05 seconds.
Kentucky Derby 2016 Contender Updates