Chewy has all of your horse supplies and they can be delivered right to your door. Click to browse and save! And remember, shipping on orders of $50 or more is free!
WHAT THE JOCKEYS ABOARD THIS YEAR’S KENTUCKY DERBY RUNNERS WILL BE WEARING
By LATT Staff
Kentucky Derby trophy. Photo: Jordan Sigmon
The Kentucky Derby is nothing if not colorful. From the fashion to the saddle towels and even the red roses draped over the winner of the most prestigious event in horse racing, nothing is more colorful than the silks carried to post by each of the Kentucky Derby contenders representing each owner. The history of silks goes even farther back than the 147-year history of the Run for the Roses itself.
When organized horse racing first began in the early 18th century, there were no such things as program numbers, public address systems or closed circuit television. When England’s King Charles II first assembled race meets on the plains of Hempstead, the dukes and the barons had trouble figuring out which horse was which so they adopted racing silks – or colors – to distinguish their jockeys for easier viewing. And because they were made out of silk, they were referred to as “silks” and have kept the moniker since.
During the time of King Charles II, silks designs were simple. Red for one duke, black for another duke, orange for one earl, white for another earl, and so on. Today, since there are so many owners, silks have become even more colorful. The jockeys’ room at Churchill Downs houses thousands of silks, which are hung on pegs in the order of each jockey’s races for that day.
Following are the official silks for the field for this year’s 147th running of the $3 million Kentucky Derby, in post position order with pedigree, connections and morning line odds:
1. Known Agenda (Curlin—Byrama, by Byron) O-St. Elias Stable B-St. Elias Stables LLC (KY) T-Todd Pletcher J-Irad Ortiz Jr., 6-1
2. Like The King (Palace Malice—Like a Queen, by Corinthian) O-M Racing Group LLC B-Horseshoe Racing LLC (KY) T-Wesley Ward J-Drayden Van Dyke, 50-1
3. Brooklyn Strong (Wicked Strong–Riviera Chic, by Medaglia d’Oro O-Mark Schwartz B-Cheryl Prudhomme & Dr. Michael Gallivan (NY) T-Daniel Velazquez J-Umberto Rispoli, 50-1
4. Keepmeinmind (Laoban—Inclination, by Victory Gallop) O-Cypress Creek Equine, Arnold Bennewith & Spendthrift Farm B-Southern Equine Stables LLC (KY) T-Robertino Diodoro J-David Cohen, 50-1
5. Sainthood (Mshawish—Lemon Hero, by Lemon Drop Kid) O-WinStar Farm & China Horse Club B-Edward Taylor & Springland Farm (KY T-Todd Pletcher J-Corey Lanerie, 50-1
6. O Besos (Orb—Snuggs and Kisses, by Soto) O-Bernard Racing, Tagg Team Racing & West Point Thoroughbreds B-L. Barrett Bernard (KY) T-Greg Foley J-Marcellino Pedroza, 20-1
7. Mandaloun (Into Mischief—Brooch, by Empire Maker) O-Juddmonte B-Juddmonte Farms LLC (KY) T-Brad Cox J-Florent Geroux, 15-1
8. Medina Spirit (Protonico—Mongolian Changa, by Brilliant Speed) O-Zedan Racing Stables Inc. B-Gail Rice (FLY) T-Bob Baffert J-John Velazquez, 15-1
9. Hot Rod Charlie (Oxbow—Indian Miss, by Indian Charlie) O-Roadrunner Racing, Boat Racing & William Strauss B-Edward A. Cox Jr. (KY) T-Doug O’Neill J-Flavien Prat, 8-1
10. Midnight Bourbon (Tiznow—Catch the Moon, by Malibu Moon) O-Winchell Throroughbreds LLC B-Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC (KY) T-Steve Asmussen J-Mike Smith, 20-1
11. Dynamic One Union Rags—Beat the Drum, by Smart Strike O-Phipps Stable, Repole Stable & St. Elias Stable B-Phipps Stable (KY) T-Todd Pletcher J-Jose Ortiz, 20-1
12. Helium (Ironicus—Thundering Emelia, by Thunder Gulch O-D.J. Stable B-Teneri Farm Inc. & Bernardo Alvarez Calderon (KY) T-Mark Casse J-Julien Leparoux, 50-1
13. Hidden Stash (Constitution—Making Mark Money, by Smart Strike O-BBN Racing LLC B-Rhineshire Farm LLC (KY) T-Victoria Oliver J-Rafael Bejarano, 50-1
14. Essential Quality (Tapit—Delightful Quality, by Elusive Quality O-Godophpin LLC B-Godolphin (KY) T-Brad Cox J-Luis Saez, 2-1
15. Rock Your World (Candy Ride—Charm the Maker, by Empire Maker) O-Hronis Racing & Talla Racing LLC B-Ronald McAnally & Deborah McAnally (KY) T-John Sadler J-Joel Rosario, 5-1
16. King Fury (Curlin—Taris, by Flatter) O-Fern Circle Stables & Three Chimneys Farm B-Heider Family Stables LLC (KY) T-Kenny McPeek J-Brian Hernandez Jr., SCRATCH
17. Highly Motivated (Into Mischief—Strong Incentive, by Warrior’s Reward) O-Klaravich Stables Inc. B-Klaravich Stables (KY) T-Chad Brown J-Javier Castellano, 10-1
18. Super Stock (Dialed In—Girlie, by Closing Argument) O-Erv Woolsey & Keith Asmussen B-Pedro Gonzalez & P.J. Gonzalez (KY) T-Steve Asmussen J-Ricardo Santana Jr., 30-1
19. Soup and Sandwich (Into Mischief—Souper Scoop, by Tapit) O-Live Oak Plantation B-Live Oak Stud (FL) T-Mark Casse J-Tyler Gaffalione, 30-1
20. Bourbonic (Bernardini—Dancing Afleet, by Afleet Alex) O-Calumet Farm B-Calumet Farm (KY) T-Todd Pletcher J-Kendrick Carmouche, 30-1