2018’s Most Amazing Moments In Racing
2018 Was An Exciting Year For Racing Fans, Led By A Triple Crown Winner
By Margaret Ransom
As 2018 comes to a conclusion it’s hard to believe that just more than six months ago we as racing fans in North America were treated to our 13th Triple Crown winner when the handsome Justify captured the 145th running of the Belmont Stakes (GI). And over the course of the racing year that was, we also witnessed some other awesome feats, including Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (GIT) heroine Enable shipping over from Europe to defeat the boys in the Breeders’ Cup Turf (GIT) at Churchill Downs, longtime trainer John Sadler breaking a 44-race Breeders’ Cup losing streak on Racing’s Championship Day with Accelerate’s victory in the Classic, and Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez earning his 6,000th career victory.
And wrapping up these amazing and historic events in a neat package was a 2018 filled with exciting moments and tremendous achievements at North American tracks from coast to coast.
With a definitive nod to Australian superstar Winx, please enjoy our list of nine exciting moments from 2018, in no particular order. If we missed yours, let us know what it is and we’ll add it as our tenth!
Happy Holidays from all of us at LATT!
2018’s Most Exciting Racing Moments
– 2017 Horse of the Year Gun Runner wears his newly minted crown to win the Pegasus World Cup at Gulfstream Park and caps off an impressive career with a record of 19-12-3-2, $15,988,500. Click here to watch!
– Relative unknown Justify breaks his maiden at first asking at Santa Anita Park in February of his sophomore year, instantly stamping himself as a leading Kentucky Derby (GI) contender.
– McKinzie wins the San Felipe Stakes (GII), but is disqualified to second for bumping with rival Bolt d’Oro in the stretch. Click to watch!
– Firenze Fire wins the Gallant Bob Stakes (GIII) at Parx despite rival Whereshetoldmetogo’s attempt to “savage” – or bite him – in deep stretch.
– Justify becomes the 13th Triple Crown winner in the Belmont Stakes (GI) at Belmont Park.
– Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (GIT) winner Enable defeats the boys in the Breeders’ Cup Turf at Churchill Downs. Click to watch!
– Accelerate caps off a near-perfect year with an impressive score in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (GI) at Churchill Downs. Click to watch!
– Monomoy Girl wins the Cotillion Stakes (GI) at Parx before being disqualified for interfering/impeding rival Midnight Bisou. Click to watch!
– Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez wins his 6,000th career race at Aqueduct on November 30.